Thursday, October 26, 2006

What's in a lie?

Wow... it looks like every other person is coming down with some flu or the next. I caught a bit of it myself, but it's more like a stomach bug. My tummy feels funny still. Week 4 of me being 'back to school' has come to and end today. 1 month has passed already. I'd like to say I made some new friends. As time goes by we will see, but I know this so far, there is at least one or two I am looking fwd to getting to know better.

Sooo... have you ever wondered how easy it to lie without telling an untruth? Lie in the sense that you know you're misleading a person, though you did state the truth. It's all in the context... or omission. I donno, maybe I'm just sensitive to these things, or I want to be. I've said it sooo many times before and I'll say it again: it’s amazing what you can do with the English language.

Oh wait...
Example 1:
You're out liming with some friends and your mom calls and asks what you're doing and you say "Oh, I'm just drinking and smoking and making out with some random guy & gurl, yuh know, d usuals". Now it's up to her if she believes you or not. And more than usual, she won't. You're just kidding... yea rite...just tease your old momma. BUT hey! You just might be doing exactly that!!! You didn't lie, but you knew she wouldn't believe you anyway (who in their right mind really does tell their parents when they're doing something like that and is actually serious about it??!) Anyways, this is just an old technique I discovered a few years aback. How's that for an example? lol


Example 2:
Person 1: "yuh going home right?"
Person 2: "yea yea, laterz"
Person 1: Aight, I'll call

Reality - Person 2 drops in by Tom, Dick & Harry and a Roti shop before reaching home 8 hrs later. After all, he didn’t say he was going home NOW.

Anywaysssss... So yea. Lying without telling an untruth. Lying through deception and omission of facts. I'm sure we all did it. I'm not so sure how many of us know it, or even feel guilty bout it. But in the court of law, a play on words never stands up. Just imagine the possibilities, the literalness and be aware that sometimes, some people aren't being vague, sarcastic or funny... they're actually telling the truth, and we just don't know it.

No comments: