Monday, January 24, 2011

Best of you

I came here to write about something totally different. But as my lappie was starting up and I was getting comfy on bed, the strangest string of thoughts started piecing together in my head and I just must let my fingers translate them.

The following words popped into my mind "No one can love you more than I do" 
It's a beautiful statement... but it irks me. I would like to say that, but I can't.

Honestly, how can we really know if there is someone out there capable of loving the person that we love, 'more' than we do? It's an absurd assumption, but for the person saying it, it relays a much deeper and indirect message.

"No one can love you more than I do" is of the connotation that the person we love is wrong to try to find love somewhere else... from someone else, since after all, no one can love them more! How can we tell someone that? Why prevent someone from searching for more with the promise that more does not exist? There is fear. There is insecurity. There is emotional misleading (albeit, we may not even be aware).

I think in essence, what we really mean to say... the message we're trying so hard not to lay down bare in front the other is "I cannot love anyone more than I love you". It's not that the person cannot be loved by another, but that we cannot love another as we love them.... and that my friends, is an agonizing prospect. You want no one else because this person has and will always have the best of you.

It also brings with it a bitter sweet sense of solace There's no reason behind it... after all, with love, is there ever really?

5 comments:

Adele said...

You're right. It's a possessive statement.

Tunks said...

That's why it irks me. I've never been told this before though & I hope I never make the mistake of saying it myself

Anonymous said...

"No one can love you more than I do" is almost like saying "Yuh know what yuh have but yuh doe know what yuh getting." The person saying it wants to generate fear in the "loved" person. I agree it is a possesive statement thus a selfish one. I don't know exactly what love is but I don't think it is ever selfish.

kingofsorrow said...

it's also a form off emotional abuse. your basically telling the other person that they aren't good enough for any one else and you take pity on them. your love for them is a charity.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tanya,

It is a long time we spoke. Today I just thought of you and decided to visit and found that your passion to write is still thriving.

How is your health and pray that all should be well with you.

Rgds
Chandra