Thursday, September 29, 2005

Words, Images & Memory

Twice during High School, a learning institute came in to do special classes to teach students how to study, learn and excel overall academically. I stayed back for just one of the countless classes, and remembered distinctly being taught how to read a passage or chapter and make notes. One thing that struck me then was the advice to not read silently at the same pace you will read as if reading out loud. Now that’s understandable. But the trick was, to not hear the words in your head in your own voice as if you really were reading out loud. To not pay attention to each word and character and more or less ‘skim’ to the important parts. At that moment I knew that I was destined to never become a speedy reader.

I recently finished reading a book directed at self-healing and body/mind connection called Dreamhealer – A guide to Self Empowerment. This book leaned heavily on the power of visualization. The author explained the differentiation between thought patters that are naturally pictorial or naturally narrative. Some people see clear pictures while visualizing, while some people hear their own thought narrating what is happening, rather than just seeing it. It was then that I realized I’m mostly the latter.

I couldn’t visualize something, make belief, imagine or whatever you want to call it, without hearing my voice speaking to me, creating the image through words. However, when it comes to recalling, I display a mixture of both. Here comes the tricky part… I have a Photogenic memory when it comes to words, and a Narrative memory when it comes to images. Ironic? In form 3 Spanish lessons, the teacher asked the meaning of some word, but I couldn’t remember it, yet I saw the image clearly in my mind, so I said to her “That’s in the small yellow box on the bottom left hand corner of page 53, it’s the 3rd word of the 4” Can you imagine her surprise? Of course she was both stunned and disappointed that I can remember all that detail yet not remember the actual word.

The written word versus the spoken word: I am a lot more moved and affected by reading things as words, than hearing it from the people themselves. I can recall an msn chat for example, word for word, where the spaces were, if it was capital or common letters, the amount of ellipses and where and when the person pressed enter etc…and that ‘skill’ disturbs me considerably sometimes since it makes online chatting a very emotionally and mentally charged event. I’ve come to realize that once read, I can see and feel everything, the image is imbedded in me, there’s no dry cut narration in my mind, but sharp images that stay with me. Horrible things that were typed to me via chat or email affected me many times more than the things I heard with my own ears. Hmmm…

I notice patterns of speech and typing, character usage and online quirks very easily from reading how people write. It comes so naturally that I dare not call it obsessive.

This can be the major reason why I much rather read books than watch movies. That’s just me :) Now I’ve come to realize how difficult it is to actually visualize with your intentions on the unknown and beyond without the limitations of speech.

What are your thought patterns like?

7 comments:

aka_lol said...

That was a very keen self-observation Tunks. I am not sure which category I fall into. Years ago I would say that I never forgot a face. This is probably still true but the faces I remembered are now distorted by years and teen aged children. I have a terrible time with remembering people’s names, car numbers and phone numbers. If I make an effort to remember these I will, but it doesn’t come naturally.

I also went to a “speed reading” course at UWI and was even certified as a speed-reader when I crossed the word and comprehension barrier that was required. I never practiced speed-reading and thought it was one of the most unnatural and stressful things a mind could go through. I think I am good at visualizing stuff in 3D. Things the IQ testers are so fond of like mentally rotating a complex shape 270 degrees in one plane and then 120 degrees in another plane. I still don’t see what intelligence has to do with this particular talent.

We are all different people with different strengths, and weaknesses. Sometimes we may have a great talent but not the opportunity to discover it. I don’t expect a street-child to even know he is probably a gifted composer because he doesn’t have the opportunity to learn this. So when a talented person looks down at others with supposedly lesser talent, he is only exhibiting his ignorance of the fact that he is merely a product of good luck.

You being able to visualize is seen in your ability to draw. You can draw, not only what is physically there, but what you mentally visualize. That to me is a great talent. I struggle to draw what I see because my mind and my eyes see conflicting things. Right-side brain thinking may have something to do with it. I found this explanation on right-side brain process. The right brain processes from whole to parts, holistically. It starts with the answer. It sees the big picture first, not the details.

Thinking about it now, I can visually imagine situations without any sound. I probably use this visualizing of future events to crate fear and panic before and during the event. For example I already imagined what would happen if m car was caught in rising flood waters or if I caught the tooth-fair red handed. I do have a good imagination but a soundless one. But for some reason, I can only listen to some songs if I am seeing the music video. If I hear the song without the video I probably stop hearing it or imagine the video. There probably is some significance to this quirk of mine.

I am both for books and movies. I don’t have a strong preference unless it involves moving bikinis. I prefer movies with strong dialog. I am not sure but I think I am attracted to a style of writing more than the story. This means if the book has a great plot and the writing is too complex, too childish, or not very rhythmic, I will lose interest easily. That is why I cannot read what I write.

Your style of writing is flowing and easy to read, and that is why I enjoy reading Tunk’s Blogs :)
I said too much and made too little sense, but this is my style and that is my talent :)

Anonymous said...

"Horrible things that were typed to me via chat or email affected me many times more than the things I heard with my own ears."
Wow that must be really hard for you.
I am the opposite.

Very Introspective entry tunks :)

Tunks said...

wow aka - this must be ur longest comment ever on my blog. U really are bloggifying ur commenting :)

I can still say that I never forget a face... terrible wid names, but will never forget u. Thats prolly cuz I'm a lover of 'staring down ppl' ...really I am!

I wonder what a speed reading course will b like for me... hmm. I still think I won't be up to it.

Tunks said...

snbg - Thanks for the comment. I'm trying to put myself in ur shoes wid ur situation being the opposite to mine... Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

this is a real eye opener tunks. your observations are admirable

Anonymous said...

i really enjoy the way u express your words and emotions. keep up the good work.

Tunks said...

Thanks anon.