Monday, July 18, 2005

The Texture of Taste

Over the past few weeks, since I had a lot of time on my hands and due to the help of the side effects of steroids – I’ve become intensely aware of what goes in my mouth… food and drink wise. Back in the days, I remember trying to describe certain foods as ‘sleepy tasting’ … but that will make very little sense to the average person.

A few weeks ago, while having a meal with my mom, it suddenly came to me what I was trying to explain all those years before. I’ve come to realize that a large part of my preference for food or things that I crave doesn’t just have to do with the taste… but I’ve got a knack for gravitating towards foods of a certain texture! Hmm… “texture?” one might say, quite like my mother with raised eyebrows and a pitch or two change of voice… but its true.

Texture marks the difference between why I would prefer chocolate over fudge, brownies over cake, squash over pumpkin, pasta over provision etc… it explains why my favorite fruit is banana and my other fruit preferences are sapodilla, soursoup, chennette, tonkabean and certain types of mangoes etc… What is there in a banana over an apple? ... The texture! That rich, solid, creamy, sticky…roll all over and coat my tongue with feeling to it… that sleepy, calming, relaxing moment of bliss. All those fruits listed above have that in common, in varying degrees… unlike apples, cherries or watermelon. I remember that if I can’t sleep, I just need to suck on a block of chocolate and I’ll fall asleep dripping like a baby. I think the ultimate example will be me choosing squash over pumpkin any day. Its so alike and people normally either don’t know the difference or cant tell. Squash is more…dare I say it…squishy…rich and textured! For this same reason I prefer mohanbog over parasad or the sticky flour parasad over the crème of wheat.

Gosh…it’s amazing. The list goes on with examples, but those above were the ones that made it all click and make sense to me. ‘Sleepy tasting’ :) Can you all understand where I’m coming from?


Now, despite this somewhat odd revelation and my desire to share this with the masses, I must admit that this entry is one of self torture…since for a 'short' while I would be stepping away from Lacto Vegetarian diet and even crossing the realms of pure Vegan ... a real hard challenge. But at least now I have this entry to look back on now and then to reflect on the days of rich tasting, afterglow effective pieces of euphoria all in the name of sensory pleasure!!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

this is an evolutionary step from my "meat, not meat, mmmh sweet stuff, juice" concept of food. Pure genius use of sensory perception.. i'm still trying to overcome my hatred of skin and seeds, this fruit thing sounds too complex perhaps one fine day I will try it, I suspect it will go much the same way my vegetarian period went (except you doh have to cook fruit.. how to maintain the variety I seem to crave).. good luck with this, lemme know how it goes

Caribbean Dream said...

hahahahhaha I can sense your cravings Babe :P But indeed, your observations about the different textures of foods are remarkable and insightful. It drew to my attention, the types of food I eat and wonder why I really eat them!! Hahaha food analysis!! :D

Tunks said...

Ah yes Benko - u read what the others havent... Goodluck freal! :) Thanks

aka_lol said...

There is nothing as tempting as good textured food and the comment link on blogs which were very well written. I yield to both.

Once you do something for a while, and somehow manage to overcome the newness and the guilt, it becomes second nature. It's like driving on the shoulder on the highways during rush-hour traffic.

I never thought about the texture of food until you pointed it out. At least not in the detail and texture you described. Being a vegetarian can be a challenge but being a fruitarian, even for a few days, boggles my mind. The problem with taking "the plunge" is the temptation by all the other food around you. Also, all the temptation that good and highly paid advertising companies churn out so regularly and effectively on TV, doesn't help either. Bastards!

But your idea of using this blog to track your progress, and even to encourage you to stick with it, is a very good idea. It will also encourage us to even try it, or for the very least, to comment more.

I hope you found this comment encouraging and I leave you now with the ever popular quote by Oscar Wilde - I can resist everything except temptation. :)

Tunks said...

Ah yes Caribbean Dream food analysis! hahaha...who would have thought I'd be doing that?

Anonymous said...

always a pleasure to read something that makes me say, oohh yeahh...fuh real

Tunks said...

Love the comment and the quote aka ---> twaz well selected! :)

And yes.... TV SUCKS NOW!