Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Ode to May

Since the beginning of this month, I have been toying around with the idea of making this entry. Now, 31 days later, I succumb to my tendency of working best under self-induced pressure; and what better pressure than that marked by time itself, giving me just a few more hours to do an ode to the month of May, while the Month still stands?

May has stood out, amongst its fellow brothers and sisters as being the most significant one in my life…thus far. It’s ridden with many personal milestones; good, bad and those that linger somewhere in-between.

Firstly, I was born on the 8th of this Month 19 years ago (Happy Belated Birthday Tunks). Just 3 days before my birth, my grandfather died and throughout the years gone by since, my other 3 grandparents passed away…in fact, in one year, 2 of them died 1 week apart; together with an uncle and a cousin…all separate incidences – 4 deaths, 4 sets of wakes and 4 funerals - All in the month of May. Hmm…all right. Enough of that talk. Too personal? Oh well… the list goes on

Ah yes… May was always one that had the anxiety-laden ring of Examinations in the air, not just the typical end of terms but the life changing (and yes they were) CXC and A Level exams. There was also Mothers day…a bittersweet occasion for my family. In the midst of it all, through out my academic life, I’ve graduated 4 times in May.

On an even more personal note, May marks … first kiss, first time I saw my first b/f upset, first for a few other experiences and first time I was faced with a one to one decision. It now also marks the beginning of the end of something and the end of another beginning. (Never underestimate the power of being vague). In May I was given the RA medical diagnosis and it has subsequently been a month of recuperation following a trend of flares every year since (Including this one)

Now…every event listed above has been, at the time, a significant one indeed. Throwing it out in such a nonenthused factual manner has its pros and cons depending on how we look at it but I haven’t attempted in any way to capture the true meaning or effect. To me, explaining these things that cannot be absoloutly understood and felt by another, can undermind the importance of it...I rather not take that risk. However, I’ll still stick to conviction of this being an opportunity to share something personal, succumb to my need to rant about May and of course, have this in the archives of time to reflect upon as my memory fades...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tunks said...

Dry, factual wid no personal emotional meaning?

I don't think thats what certain editors wanted in they quest to 'sensatize' the public by giving a real personal 'touching' feel to their article.

Another thing. I wrote this one. Not the other.

Caribbean Dream said...

Wow babe, this entry is amazing. I love the fact that you made known the relativity of your experiences and the month of May. Your talent for writing is revealed yet again in this captivating entry. I'm truly impressed babe.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Just know, that the end of one thing, always without fail, marks the beginning of something else. May seems like the month where everything has happened, but remember everything that happened is all other months - then again, if you're like alot of other people, you'd hold the month of your birthday with a certain prestige over all other months... Sigh... I'm rambling again - I need to put thoughts on paper... anyway - new blog - www.whisperoflife.modblog.com

aka_lol said...

May would never be the same after reading this :)

You took an everyday something and gave it an importance, and an emotion, which most people would hardly ever recognize, but should.

This blog is yet another one for the books!

.....have this in the archives of time to reflect upon as my memory fades...

Anonymous said...

Hye Tunks, you have alot of memoires in May. Some good and some bad, but it made you who you are. It made you stronger not weak.
And all the things that happened May, is apart of you, as these people were apart of your life. Just to let some people know.
keep up the good work chica. ;)

Tunks said...

Thanks Caribbean Dream You're the sweetest :)

Ciran you're right tho! We always hold dear to us the month which we were born...makes this entry all the more special :p

aka, as for the books, It'll be a whole new experience...this entry could just be the summary ;)

hottie yess indeed... these things have made me stronger and taught me so much more than Im willing to admit.

Thanks again everyone :)

Anonymous said...

Hey
kill these pop up comments... some ppl dont have pop ups allowed so it makes it difficult for them to post.

also some ppl find popups ubtrusive and bad... like me.

Anonymous said...

I like this style. Firefox really wuks popups tho. Anyways, I like May a bit too, but I rather September. People Born in Sept. are romantically linked to me weirdly enough

Tunks said...

I'm skeptical... Was just trying it out, but my OWN laptop is blocking the popup window :s

Back to Basics. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

well for sure we got ONE good thing out of May......i think :P

Tunks said...

Ah yes Yans - Yuh know d ting ;)