Wednesday, February 08, 2006

My Sweet Teaser

It was around 7pm and I was well on my way to the swimming pool for my nightly dip. The glass was down, radio on not too loud and the crisp cold wind was having a field day dancing in and out my car windows. I stared out into the night, took a long deep breath and a faint sweet scent teased my senses. Ummm...so familiar, yet more real than a mere memory. We were passing through a long stretch of cane fields - ah yes! The sweet smell of burning cane...that sweet smokey teaser. I remember actually thinking with a smile, how much I love living here - in Trinidad.

As I reached the pool and was parking, from the corner of my eye I saw what looked like tiny threads falling from the sky. The funny thing is, the first thought that popped into my head was that some dog was shedding hair hahaha... but that of course didn't make sense 'cuz it was after all falling from the sky. I then thought it was angel dust. Lord alone knows why I thought that one. I said out loud - 'This is Snow in Trinidad' ... and my gosh was it a sight! Black snow, grey snow, white snow...just falling and falling. In all my life I had never seen so much at once.

I waded around, enjoying the marvel of 'my snow' until it dawned on me that I was freezing. Definitely time to come out the pool - night time dips tend to suck the warmth out of you. The pool itself was quite a spectacle by then with enough fallen ash to almost cover the entire floor. Hey, I was just visiting - I couldn't help but be amazed, but I surely feel sorry for the person who had to clean up all that mess. Nonetheless, cane season - another reason why I love sweet T&T.

8 comments:

Caribbean Dream said...

Awww this entry surely made me nostalgic! I am so proud to be a Trinidadian eh. Home of sweet sugar cane and so much more! hehe. I can't wait to visit - I miss home so much, but im greatful that i have a wonderful best friend to remind me of T&T ;)

aka_lol said...

I like living in Trinidad and mainly because of the cane ash. There are other "little" things which keeps us in Trinidad and the stringent immigration requirements for the more developed countries is one of those "little" things. Personally, I would not like to live in a bigger country where the population is diverse and immigrant based. Variety might be the spice of life but not knowing if your fellow bad-drivers would appreciate the string of well laid out Trini expletives is frustrating. It's like an ace bowler bowling to confirmed #11 batsman - it's no challenge.

You experienced something which people in my side of Trinidad seldom experience. We do suffer from bush fire ash but it doesn't quite create the nostalgia that burnt cane and exhaust fumes from foreign-used cars and 120Ys can induce.

Keep it up Tunks since you do have a great talent for writing as you feel it.

Tunks said...

Hey babe... nostalgia can be beautiful huh? :) I know you miss T&T, but don't worry, I'll be right here waiting for whenever u come back!!

aka - its the little things... I donno why, but I just love the little things. I find them so facinating. I hate it when ppl put me down or write off comments or observations of these little pieces of pleasure. I can't be cynical. I can't pretend that I have 'better things' to do with my life than sit and watch cane ash fall.... I love the way I see things. I admire the way u see things as well... keep on blogging too. Thanks for the comment

Anonymous said...

I see the similarity between snow and cane trash, but at least cane trash is black and not cold. daz a bright side there. Sweet weeet T&T!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tunks,

Hope you are having a good time.

So, its a girl!!!

She is Sethulakhmi.

Rgds
Chandra

Tunks said...

Not cold indeed Jason :)

CONGRATS Chandra! I was wondering how the birth went. You a proud popa again :) Enjoy ur vacation home.

Anonymous said...

These are the things that we take for granted everyday with our busy lives. Tunks has taught me alot of things about just stopping and enjoy what life has to offer at the moment. We to take time to remember these moments, so that we can tell our children and our grandchildren, even great grands, the good times we had.

Tunks, I will keep you warm on your coldest days...

Tunks said...

Thanks a lot Jeremy. Stop and smell the roses :) or the cane ash lol