Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Wait for me my loves... my dear books

I believe it was the week before Christmas 2010 that I was casually strolling through the isles of Nigel R Khan book store in Gulf. Of course it seemed like a casual stroll, when in reality I was a hyper little bunny who couldn't keep my eager hands off the brand new books which in turn couldn't keep their eyes off me. We have an interesting relationship, books and I.

A fellow patron and myself ended up in conversation where she started recommending books for me. Imagine my eager responses! She was quite passionate about the J.D. Robb series. In addition to never reading a J.D. Robb book, I've never even read a Nora Roberts (both are the same author btw). I found this entire encounter really interesting and very refreshing. It was so nice talking to a random stranger who shared a passion for books as much as I do. There wasn't an ounce of 'boasting' in her tone or vibe, she was genuinely recommending books and talking about them. Even when she reached into her bag and pulled out her iPad (omg she has an iPad) ... she really wanted to show me the books she had stored on it and how awesome it was to read e-books. She even had a kindle! (not on her @ the moment though)

Clearly she was from foreign... so I helped direct her to a spot in the mall where she can get wireless connection and we went our separate ways.

Now a few short weeks later, I find myself actually seriously considering the possibility of purchasing a kindle myself. I remember when it first came out, how amazed and scared I was at the same time. I immediately thought that that was something I could never possibly own. I was also afraid of the idea of using an e-reader and not having the paper books in my hands. But now... the kindle has wireless and I can download books for free! The free-ness, sad to say, is the definitive factor in this change of mind. I think it was the idea of actually buying a book that I couldn't see, hold, smell and cradle in my lap that made me nervous before.



Anyways, I think I will buy one. I have however decided to not be hasty since I have a lot of actual real books sitting on my shelves, waiting to be read. I think the wait would make the gratification even sweeter. Plus I won't feel guilty about my investment by having my un-read books watch me with those sad sad eyes...

10 comments:

Hancini said...

books <3
people who love books <3
bookstores <3
BOOKS :D

Tunks said...

Oh cini! I love your comment! :D

prettytrini said...

The JD Robb books are - different. I never thought I'd be able to read them, but an old co-worker let me borrow a stack of them, and I was hooked!!

Tunks said...

Hmmm different in what way? I have access to a few in the library, I should borrow one

prettytrini said...

They're not normally the books I would read. I always pegged Nora Roberts as a romance-y kinda writer, but she's not. The books are really good - set in the future, and very detailed. I get lost in them all the time. It's a good, quick read! If you can get them in order, they'd be even better.

Tunks said...

I'm totally appreciating your feedback!
Wow I just wiki the in death series... 40 books! my goodness!
Did you start from the beginning?

prettytrini said...

I think so? LOL I can't keep track. I know I haven't read them all, but I want to say I did. I only have about 10 or 12 of the books. My friend suggested buying the set on Amazon or ebay or something. :D

Enjoy!!!

Tunks said...

Hahaha wiki has the list... it's quite a lot!
Maybeeeeee whenever I buy a kindle one day, I can get the e-books and start from the beginning! :)
I hope u get them all! Thanks for the inspiration :)

prettytrini said...

lol no prob - hope you get your Kindle soon, or that you get to read them soon!! :)

Tunks said...

Thanks! Either or, I wud be excited! :)